[linux-cifs-client] cifs mount hangs KDE apps

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 14 18:12:53 GMT 2004

This issue is probably the regression caused by the removal of an ifdef
when the VFS removed the generic_file_fcntl call.

The experimental cifs directory notify code was enabled around 2.6.8 or
2.6.9 (should have been disabled) which is fixed in current mainline
(2.6.10-rc) bk tree and in mm (and also the cifs dnotify code has been
fixed to not hang in these cases).   The q;uick way to fix this is to
remove the refrence to the cifs notify routine in the two file operations
lists in fs/cifs/cifsfs.c (or wait for 2.6.10).

We really need a good dnotify test case (smaller than running kde and with
easier to undertand behavior and error code display) so we can catch it if
someone breaks notify and so I can finish testing of notify (Samba's code
looks not quite right either as I test the experimental code against
Windows and Samba servers).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com