[linux-cifs-client] smbclient 8 times faster than cifs

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Dec 7 13:44:33 GMT 2004

I'm trying to get the connection to my Win2k box fast enough that I can get
reasonable dump times for a large filesystem. Alas, smbfs gives me about
550 kBps, and cifs gives me about 1.25 MBps. Writing a 602 MByte file with
cifs takes 8 minutes. But with smbclient, I can copy the same file in about
a minute. I get comparable times pulling the file from a smbd share on the
Linux side.

System is Fedora Core 2 with 2.6.9-1.6_FC2 kernel. modinfo cifs reports:

version:        1.20 BD05AA287A833DA8A57BDC6
vermagic:       2.6.9-1.6_FC2 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.3

What can I look at to help bring cifs up to smbclient performance? What
debugging trace do you need?