[linux-cifs-client] cifs mounted home directory problems

hannes.kinnari at uwasa.fi hannes.kinnari at uwasa.fi
Mon Dec 6 21:11:37 GMT 2004

Hello,

I've tried to replace NFS with CIFS because I got tired when NFS is broken
on every second kernel I upgrade to on the server end (give stale handles
and all that after all 4 computers are connected).

Anyway, I downloaded the test version of cifs module which has the
"serverino" option included (cifs-2.6kernelbk-1.26.tar.gz). Everything
seems to work decently (fluxbox and most gtk+ apps I'm running,
beep,gkrellm2,galeon 1.3,gaim etc..), except that kde/qt stuff won't work.
Psi, the jabber client, for instance hangs after the initial window is
created. Also evolution gives strange (and false) errors like this:

(evolution-2.0:531): camel-WARNING **: could not load cert
/my/homedir/.camel_certs/certfilename:
Not a directory
(evolution-2.0:531): camel-WARNING **: Could not save cert:
/my/homedir/.camel_certs/certfilename:
Not a directory
I/O error : Not a directory
I/O warning : failed to load external entity
"/my/homedir/.evolution/mail/config/et-expanded-imap:__username at server_INBOX"
I/O error : Not a directory
I/O warning : failed to load external entity
"/my/homedir/.evolution/mail/views/current_view-imap:__username at server_INBOX.xml"
I/O error : Not a directory

..etc. These prevent me from saving any viewer preferences (or server
certificates). All of the above are really not directories, they are
files, but when using NFS, I never get these errors. Also, when I try to
move a mail from the imap folder to a local one, evolution says
"permission denied, could not append to mailbox". However, I'm able to do
anything I want to the file from terminal, even remove it. When I try to
move a mail from imap to local folder on NFS, I get this in xsession-errors:

fcntl(2) locking appears not to work on this filesystem

...and the mail is still moved. So my guess would be that the problem
with cifs has something to do with locking. (echo 0 >
/proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled didn't have any effect)

So the problem with mounting the home directory with cifs remains (I read
about that from the earlier posts).

Other interesting problem is that I'm using ccache and I have shared that
cache over the network. I get this a lot in my dmesg:

 CIFS VFS: Error 0xfffffff3 or on cifs_get_inode_info in lookup

...and eventually the compilation hangs and I'm unable to kill the ccache
process with kill -9, nor unmount the busy share (except with -l of
course). I tried to mount the cache with serverino aswell, but that didn't
make any difference.

The server filesystem is reiserfs 3.6 for ccache, if that has anything to
do with it and home dirs are on xfs (also tried on reiser4, same result).
The server side is running samba 3.0.9 (gentoo). Kernel is 2.4.9-cko2. All
partitions shared remain on LVM2.

Server options that might have something to do with this are:
[global]
unix extensions = Yes
mangled names = no
map archive = no
use sendfile = yes
ea support = yes

[share]
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700
delete readonly = Yes
case sensitive = yes

Finally, my question is, have I made a mistake in my configuration of the
samba server or are these just bugs waiting to be hunted down? :)

P.S. Should chmod work in a normal way over cifs? If I chmod 755 a file,
it only gives 700 permissions. This might be the normal behaviour with
user based security and/or my create masks , but I'm just making sure.