[linux-cifs-client] Re: Process hangs copying large file to cifs

Nuno Ferreira nuno.ferreira at graycell.biz
Fri Aug 13 16:21:22 GMT 2004

On Qui, 2004-08-12 at 21:06 +0100, Nuno Ferreira wrote:
> On Sex, 2004-08-13 at 01:34 -0500, Steve French (IBM LTC) wrote:
> > Your log entries indicate that the socket was dead, so the patch you hand applied for hashing of inodes
> > appears unrelated.
>
> I just mentioned the previous problem because the behaviour was pretty
> much the same as before, long times of no TCP traffic, intermittent
> freezes apparently of all the processes trying to do IO to the disk.
>
> > Many (including myself copy) much larger files regularly via CIFS.
>
> It appears (purely speculation, no hard facts to back it up) related to
> memory pressure, it doesn't happen with smaller files (my laptop has
> 512Mb) and it happens less often on the second copy if the file fits on
> cache.

I've now reproduced it with 2.6.8-rc4. Just after boot I could not
reproduce it with the previous file, but trying with a larger (350Mb)
file it happened again. Another hint to memory pressure? I will try
again in a few hours with the smaller file to see if it happens...
Just tried, this time it happened with the first (smaller) file.
What info can I try to collect to help you find the problem?
--
Nuno Ferreira