[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS not mounting Windows Share correctly

Art Perkins aperkins at sj.symbol.com
Thu Aug 12 16:43:57 GMT 2004

Steve, Thank you for responding,

The CIFS version is;
excerpt from /usr/src/linux-2.4/fs/cifs/CHANGES

Version 1.02
------------
Fix caching problem when files opened by multiple clients in which
page cache could contain stale data, and write through did
not occur often enough while file was still open when read ahead
(read oplock) not allowed.  Treat "sep=" when first mount option
as an overrride of comma as the default separator between mount
options. Fix 2.4 specific problems with overflow of time conversion
causing incorrect file dates and times, and also with opens which
specify O_CREAT | O_EXCL failing unnecessarily.

Version 1.01
------------
Allow passwords longer than 16 bytes. Allow null password string.

I downloaded cifs-1.0.2b.tar.gz, which is what http://us1.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html shows is the latest.
I did not see any reference to version 1.20c.

dmesg output from port=139 option
 connect.c: CIFS VFS: in cifs_mount as Xid: 7 with uid: 0
 connect.c: Domain name set
 connect.c: Username: administrator
 connect.c: UNC: \\testadsymbol\home
 connect.c: Socket created
 connect.c: Existing smb sess not found
 transport.c: For smb_command 114
 connect.c: Demultiplex PID: 4748
 transport.c: Sending smb of length 47
 connect.c: Peek length rcvd: 5 with smb length: -2097151995
 CIFS VFS: Negative RFC 1002 Session response. Error = 0xffffff8f
 connect.c:  Clearing Mid 0x8 - waking up
 connect.c: About to exit from demultiplex thread
 transport.c: No response buffer
 misc.c: Null buffer passed to cifs_buf_release
 connect.c: CIFS VFS: leaving cifs_mount (xid = 7) rc = -5
 CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -5

Changed the Group Policies to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLM2 session security if negotiated
Identical dmesg output for standard port (445) and port (139).

There are no restrictions on workstations, this is a new system with defaults except for the changes made to the Group Policy.
MS SFU (services for Unix) is also installed. MSSFU is being used to provide AD with POSIX support for LDAP. It is also going to be my backup option to provide NFS mounts if CIFS is not sucessful.

I am able to mount the Windows share from my XP Pro system.

I am able to log into the Linux box authenticating over LDAP via the Windows 2003 AD domain.

Thanks again, I appreciate your assistance.

Art Perkins
Sr. Network Engineer
408.528.2870  Work
408.528.2444   Fax
Symbol Technologies
6480 Via Del Oro Dr.
San Jose, CA 95119

Symbol. The Enterprise Mobility Company. (TM)

>>> Steven French <sfrench at us.ibm.com> 8/12/04 12:09:14 AM >>>

Is the CIFS version compiled in your 2.4 kernel (see fs/cifs/CHANGES)
version 1.20c?

The negprot is being rejected - which got me thinking of trying it over
port 139 (override via port= as mount option) - also got me thinking about
whether negprot could be rejected by the server if it is configured in
registry for (only) NTLMv2 auth (cifs does NTLM currently) - also got me
thinking about whether the workstations allowed to connect were being
restricted on the windows side (which can be done through windows admin
guis).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com