[jcifs] Seven jCIFS bug fixes from Google./Future Development

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 02:14:11 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Moritz Bechler <bechler at agno3.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>> If there is someone out there who would like to spearhead a new
>> development branch of jCIFS, I'd be happy to provide insight into the
>> workings of SMB.  I'm particularly interested in seeing SMB2/3 support
>> added to jCIFS.
>
> RIght now we have dozens of unrelated and potentially incompatible forks
> and patchsets of jCIFS out there - that really is a waste of everybodies
> time.
>
> I think the first thing we need to do is to somehow reunite these
> efforts. If we all continue like this I guess we soon will be in a
> situation where it will just stop working with new servers (or ones
> configured for security) for all of us.
>
> I'm not sure where upstream is actually abandoned or not, any comments
> from there?
>
> A while back I started working on a fork
> (<https://github.com/AgNO3/jcifs-ng/>) featuring some major
> architectural changes, including:
> - removal of global state (one can now run multiple isolated clients)
> - more flexibility in configuration, no longer forced to use system
> properties
> - cleaner abstraction of auth mechanisms, NTLMSSP, Kerberos support
> - merged various patches
>
> This required a few API breaks.
>
> So I guess this might be a good starting point for a new development
> branch. I'd be happy to merge other improvements and fixes and am
> ultimately looking forward to adding SMB2+ support, but I don't think
> thats an effort that I can tackle completely on my own in the near future.
>

> regards
>
> Moritz

Hi Moritz,

That all sounds great but I would like to caution anyone forking JCIFS:

I can see there are literally 5 pages of projects on github called
"jcifs". Not "jcifs-foo" or whatever but just "jcifs". If you or
anyone else creates a fork of jcifs, please do NOT call it "jcifs". If
someone builds it and makes a jcifs-x.x.x.jar they will not be able to
identify the fork from the original!

Java Active Directory Integration