[jcifs] Jcifs access does not work unless the user is a local admin

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 03:17:26 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 8:58 AM, Mazhar Lateef <mazhar at virtualcode.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a quick question I am hoping to get an answer for, so thank you for
> taking the time in advance  I am trying to understand the reason for the
> following case below.
>
> A user with FULL read/write permissions to a UNC path is denied access when
> the data is accessed using JCIFS - The only option to make it work seems to
> be by making the user a local administrator or add to the local admin group
> on the target server OR IF the user has other elevated permissions on the
> remote server/domain.
>
> If the user accessed the network path on windows prior to any changes in
> permissions there is no issue with access and everything works as expected,
> however if the same access is tried using JCIFS a user denied error is
> thrown, unless the user is made a local admin or domain level access is
> granted.
>
> Is this normal? and what could be the reason for this?

Hi Mazhar,

The user credentials are probably just wrong. Figuring out the right
domain be deceptively easy to get wrong. Use ipconfig /all to verify
the domain you *think* is correct for the user. Look at the domain of
the user in the ACL. I bet $1 your domain is actually wrong in one way
or another.

Java Active Directory Integration