[jcifs] JCIFS v1.3.17 : CONNECTION TIMEOUT

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 23:26:25 MDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:18 AM, RUMMENS Patrick (ITS/ESS)
<patrick.rummens at belgacom.be> wrote:
> Hello
>

> We are using JCIFS on a Linux Websphere Application server (WAS)  to connect
> to a Windows file system to open, read and move files.
>

> 1)      Question: HOW many files in 1 folder are supported by JCIFS ? We
> have sometimes more than 60.000 files in 1 folder

Hi Patrick,

There is no limit. JCIFS should 60,000 files no problem.

> 2)      Problem : from time to time we get CONNECTION TIMEOUT ERRORS on the
> WAS server

Note that a ConnectionTimeout means that it couldn't even connect.
Meaning Java tried to create a TCP socket to the target server and it
just timed out. So this particular exception has little to do with
JCIFS. Sounds like your network is just cutting out from time to time.

Try increasing the connection timeout. Note that there are several
timeout properties. See the website release note for 1.3.17 about the
jcifs.smb.client.connTimeout property.

Java Active Directory Integration
http://www.ioplex.com/