[jcifs] With what SMB server versions is jCIFS compatible?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Sep 1 14:17:47 MDT 2012

Mike,

Windows 8 will introduce SMB3 (which is really just a rebranding of SMB2.2).
 SMB1 will continue to be supported, as you point out, but WindowsXP is now
the only supported version of Windows that does not speak SMB2.  Vista and
above can all speak SMB2, and will negotiate that in preference to SMB1.

SMB2 is an improvement over SMB1 in a variety of ways, and (in my opinion)
will likely become the standard for Windows interoperability in the next few
years.  The only work Microsoft is putting into SMB1 are security fixes.

The "NT LM 0.12" dialect was actually introduced before NT4, possibly with
NT3.51.  I did not get a chance to look at anything earlier than 3.51 so I
don't know for sure.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org