[jcifs] With what SMB server versions is jCIFS compatible?

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 13:41:28 MDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Jim Davis <jim.davis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using the jCIFS library (version 1.3.14). I have been asked
>     "Is there a minimum version of the SMB protocol that we support?"
> I read through the FAQ and did not see that addressed.
>
> Can someone tell me what is needed for a Microsoft Server to be
> supported by jCIFS 1.3.14?

Hi Jim,

The oldest and only version of SMB supported by JCIFS is "NT LM 0.12"
which has been used almost exclusively since the introduction of
Windows NT 4.0 back around 1997 or there abouts. There is an SMB2 now
that JCIFS does not support. JCIFS just does SMB and not SMB2. But
SMB2 is not widespread yet and I expect Windows will maintain backward
compatibility for at least as long as their clients use regular SMB
(which last I checked was all of them).

Java Active Directory Integration