[jcifs] Issues connecting with DFS server

Nikhil Sahay nikhilsahay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 06:05:41 MDT 2012

Dear team,

We recently migrated our AD services to windows 2008 and we started to
receive intermittent issues with connecting to DFS drive. We are using the
1.3.17 version. Below is the error message which we are receiving in the
logs.

Caused by:
javax.resource.spi.EISSystemException: jcifs.smb.SmbException: Invalid
operation for ????? service
   at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:100)
   at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:775)
   at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.queryPath(SmbFile.java:1363)
   at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1417)

I was able to collect a TCPDump and the SMB Negotiate protocol response
step shows me some thing like below.

".*0(.&.$not_defined_in_RFC4178 at please_ignore"

I was wanting to know if there is any specific requirements or change in
configurations required when we moving from windows2003 to windows2008? Or
can some one please suggest what could be causing this problem?

Thanks