[jcifs] Contributing to JCIFS, git and the Linux dev model

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 11:39:21 MDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Michael B Allen <ioplex at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Xavier,
>
> The changes required to get the owner SID are simple enough that using
> an actual patch would be a waste of time. Just look at what that patch
> does and make the necessary changes by hand. It just adds a few lines

Incidentally, someone recently made a change to JCIFS (totally
unrelated to this owner sid thing), put the whole working modified
package in github and then wrote a little blurb about it in their
blog. I think that is a really good way to contribute to JCIFS. It
makes it very easy for someone to quickly try the change. And what is
perhaps more important is that it will increase the likelihood of
incorporating the change into the stock package.

The Linux development model is so much better than conventional
version control. Disk space is cheap. Just put a complete working
package out there. If the change is useful it will bubble to the
surface. If it is not, you're not wasting anyone's time.

And it is ironic that I think it was Andew Tridgell of Samba who was
in a way responsible for triggering the creation of git and by
induction the Linux development model because IIRC he somehow pissed
off the person handling the old version control system and that in
turn pissed off Linus so much he create git. I bet their friends again
now.

Java Active Directory Integration