[jcifs] jcifs.smb.SmbException: The handle is invalid

mathi mathi at oxseed.com
Mon May 10 23:00:17 MDT 2010

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

The "handle is invalid" exception is thrown because of j-interop, I guess.
Let me descirbe it.

When I create SmbFile instance, I pass the url that contains user information,
share directory name but NOT Domain name like below.
   Url= > smb://user:password@192.168.25.5/share/1.doc

So JCIFS, by default, gets domain name from System properties.

I am also using j-interop in my project to communicate with DCOM objects on windows.

In j-interop source(JISession.java), I found the following line
--------------------
		System.setProperty("jcifs.smb.client.domain","JIDomain");//is being put in for completing type2 message
		//somehow windows is not taking empty domain name.
--------------------
This sets the domain name as "JIDomain".

So, whenever I create SmbFile passing URL without Domain, it takes the Domain name
set by j-interop.

I do not know for what purpose j-interop uses JCIFS. But this is what creating problems.

I guess, the opearation(read or write) on Smbfile works fine as long as j-interop keeps its
connection alive. When j-interop disconnects(log off) its smb connection(i do not know when),
then any read/write on SmbFile throws "Handle is invalid" exception.
Do you have an idea about this? Is this right?

I think, I can fix this problem by properly passing domain name in the URL that is used
to created SmbFile instance.

Pls advice.

Thank you
Regards