[jcifs] JCIFS 1.3.8 java.net.SocketException: Connection timed out:could be due to invalid address

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Sat May 8 18:08:09 MDT 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Steve_Rut <sjrutkow at scj.com> wrote:

> Mike - I've been following this thread since we too are experiencing this
> exact same issue. We are running JCIFS 1.3.8 on AIX 6.1 and accessing a Win
> 2003 share. Our LDAP user takes upwards of 10 minutes to display data while
> a local user on the Win 2003 share displys nearly immediate.
>
> Throughout this thread you imply something may be wrong on the AIX side:
>>"You're just getting an uncommon response because the server is AIX."
>>"Because the server is AIX, you're seeing an unusual error condition."
>>"A wild guess is that the AIX side is just misconfigured."
>>"the AIX server thinks your a DOS attach"
>
> Are you suggesting something is amiss at the AIX OS Level or a faulty
> configuration at the jCIFS client configuration?
>
> Coould you suggest some areas where I could look at the AIX level to see
> what may be misconfigured on the AIX Side?

Hi Steve,

Get the latest JCIFS and find one of the examples/*.java that
reproduces the issue. Then get a packet capture on the AIX side and
send it to me directly. Also try not to modify the example or use any
properties when you run the test.

A "Connection timed out" trying to create a socket is not terribly
compelling evidence that the problem is with JCIFS so I'm just
*guessing* that the problem is at the other end (AIX). But the timeout
could just be an artifact of another error that actually is a problem
with JCIFS (but with even slightly higher logging you probably would
have seen any preceding errors).

Someone get a capture and I'll see what I can see. My guess is still
that AIX is just fickle about how you do things whereas Windows is
more forgiving. So it might not necessarily be a configuration issue
but how JCIFS is being used.

Java Active Directory Integration