[jcifs] Looking for some information on creating, deleting, listing, etc. "shares" from java in an OS platform independent manner.

mr.malibu mr.malibu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 12:31:50 MDT 2010

Hi Guys,

#1 My team is developing a java application and we need to be able to
create/delete and list shares on users machine/account. This application will
run on a variety of Operating Systems including Windows and Linux. Ideally there
would be an open source OS Independent library/API that would allow us to
implement these features but to date, we not discovered any. We are however
using JCIFS to accomplish some of these tasks, however, jCIFS does not provide
the abililty to create or delete shares.

#2 As an alternative, we've been researching platform specific techniques for
creating, deleting, listing, etc. existing shares and that is where the 'net
share add', 'net share delete' etc commands come into play.

#3 We've investigated a few different approaches and found that the 'net share
add', 'net share delete', etc. commands are available on all the OS platforms
we're looking at (Windows, Mac, Linux) and thus their use seem like a good way
to go.

So, the bottom line is that some kind of a cross platform open source JAVA
library that allows one to CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) shares, control
their permissions, etc. would be of the highest value followed any STANDARD OS
platform specific means.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback, however, now that you've got a more
complete picture of our needs, we'd like to hear them.