[jcifs] jcifs.smb.SmbException: The handle is invalid

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 08:29:27 MST 2010

Hi René,

This probably means pretty much what the error text suggests. My guess
is that, because you are crawling, you probably started a list
operation and then left it open for a long time but by the time you
came back to it, the server closed it due to resource pressure. Of
course that is wild speculation but that is the sort of thing that can
cause this class error. When you crawl, you want to make sure you keep
your file stack small (meaning do a breadth first search as opposed to
a depth first search).

Otherwise, make sure you're using the latest JCIFS. Prior to rewriting
transport locking, one user experienced a significant improvement in
this class of error.

Mike

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:01 AM, René Liebmann
<rene_liebmann at datamatics.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I came across a problem which I have seen now only on Netapp Fileservers. In
> my logic I go recursively down in one share and read information about the
> contained files. On some subfolders I do get the below exception, which does
> not seem to be security related, as I'm able to access that folder without
> problems. I believe that I'm getting some Timeout in the parent directory -
> with that the handle to the parent is wrong and as soon as the below
> directories are finished and my logic comes back to the parent directory the
> exception is fired. Do you believe that this explanation of the problem is
> true? If so, what can I do?
>

> 16025491 [Thread-14] ERROR JavaFileAnalyser - Error while
> ListFilesAnalyserFilter.accept
> smb://172.20.0.104/G$/tausch/Produktion/SWE-Scripting/DTKS/SSIS/KEK/ZIP-Test/T_Home/___FOUND/
>
> jcifs.smb.SmbException: The handle is invalid.
>
>                 at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:542)
>
>                 at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:619)
>
>                 at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:241)
>
>                 at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:111)
>
>                 at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:729)
>
>                 at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.doFindFirstNext(SmbFile.java:1975)
>
>                 at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.doEnum(SmbFile.java:1683)
>
>                 at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.listFiles(SmbFile.java:1660)
>
>                 at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.listFiles(SmbFile.java:1649)
>
>                 at
> com.rli.fsi.ListFilesAnalyserFilter.accept(ListFilesAnalyserFilter.java:92)
>

> Thanks
>

> René

Java Active Directory Integration