[jcifs] jcifs at lists.samba.org

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 11:22:09 MST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Wolfgang Ratzka
<ratzka at hrz.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> Am 12.02.2010 13:10, schrieb Andreas Gabriel:
>> Hi Andreas,
>>

> (Andreas is the web services/unix guy, I'm the windows
> person, so he asked me to jump in here.)
>
>> You mean you have a stand-alone DFS root:
>>
>>   smb://DFS/FOO/tmp/
>>
>> pointing to:
>>
>>   smb://<server>/FOO_T$/
>>
>> ?
>>
>> You need to be more explicit about the topology.
>
> Yes, DFS is a stand-alone DFS root on a NetApp vfiler. The server
> it points to, is NetApp too. We might be able to try, whether the
> behavior also happens with a Linux DFS root, but not right away.
>
> Andreas is going to produce tracelogs without WINS. In fact, the
> DFS link already uses the FQDN of the target filer.

Hi Wolfgang,

The best way to diagnose an issue with JCIFS is to get two packet
capture - one of JCIFS failing and one of Windows succeeding at doing
exactly the same thing. Then I can compare the two packet-by-packet.
Also get corresponding logs with a log level of 4. So send me 4
attachments - the two packet captures and two corresponding logs. This
will give me the most detailed diagnostic possible.

Note that the result of all of this could easily be just end up being
added it to the TODO list for further investigation. Even if I see
exactly what the problem is. I just don't have a lot of time for much
other than large impact issues and unfortunately for you NetApp + DFS
is a project that has a low return on investment ratio.

Mike

> Wolfgang
> --
> Wolfgang Ratzka  Phone: +49 6421 2823531  FAX: +49 6421 2826994
> Uni Marburg,  HRZ, Hans-Meerwein-Str., D-35032 Marburg, Germany

Java Active Directory Integration