[jcifs] how to investigate authentication failure (with Unix share)

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 09:23:02 MDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Schmidlin, Franck
<Franck.Schmidlin at northgate-is.com> wrote:

>  Dear all,
>
> Could you suggest ways to investigate why my very simple code fails to connect to a unix share, from a windows machine?
> The failure claims to be an authentication failure, but I am certain my credentials are correct.
> This code works fine when accessing windows shares and works fine using a drive mapped to that unix share.
>
> I do not however know enough about unix to figure out what could cause my user not to be able to authenticate when using JCIFS (v1.2.13) to access the share directly.
>
> What follows is a (slightly sanitised) log of the problem.
> I am personally incapable of interpreting this trace, so your help will be much appreciated.
>
> Are there questions I should ask of the Unix administrator?
> Are there additional flags I can pass to JCIFS?
> Is the isLoggedInAsGuest=true relevant?

Yes. JCIFS blocks logging in as "guest". Windows clients can connect
to Samba because they allow logging in as "guest" as a client (but not
as a server because the "guest" account is always disabled by
default).

I suspect Samba is not joined to the AD domain and therefore you
cannot use domain credentials to authenticate with it. You will need
to either properly join the Samba installation to AD and configure it
accordingly or just use credentials local to Samba set using
smbpasswd.

Java Active Directory Integration