[jcifs] basic session management question

Caldarale, Charles R Chuck.Caldarale at unisys.com
Fri May 22 21:59:16 GMT 2009

> From: jcifs-bounces+chuck.caldarale=unisys.com at lists.samba.org
> [mailto:jcifs-bounces+chuck.caldarale=unisys.com at lists.samba.org]
> Subject: [jcifs] basic session management question
>
> Is it ok to perform the SmbSession.logon in the servlet init or
> a static block and keep the connection open for the life of the
> application?

The SMB server on the other end may drop the connection due to idleness, so be prepared to re-establish it as needed.  Also, you should close the connection when the webapp is stopped or reloaded (i.e., when Servlet.destroy() is called by the container).

My preference would be in a ServletContextListener rather than a specific servlet, primarily to avoid the clutter.  The SmbSession object could be stored as an attribute of ServletContext to make it usable by all servlets of the webapp.

 - Chuck