[jcifs] Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

John Baker jbaker at javasystemsolutions.com
Sat May 16 17:57:01 GMT 2009

Hello,

I've come across an odd problem with jcifs1.2.25 and the NtlmHttpFilter.  I've
looked at 1.3.8 but I can't get that working in any sensible fashion.  The
problem is as follows:

0xC000006D: jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Logon failure: unknown user name or
bad password.

Google tells me it's been discussed before, and someone mentions altering the
type 2 message.  However, I've found a new twist to the problem that I can
not see previously discussed.

I can start the webapp, attempt to authenticate with IE and get the usual
three dialog boxes for user/pass before failure (with the above).  However,
if I make an attempt to authenticate using Firefox, which succeeds, and then
move over to IE, it works!  So, jcifs authenticates IE when there has been an
authentication from FF.

Has this got anything to do with the pre-authentication code, that's somehow
working slightly differently depending on the client browser?

John

--
John Baker, Java System Solutions.
http://www.javasystemsolutions.com