[jcifs] Domain based DFS support in Kerberos code, or NTLMv2 support in Java 1.4?

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:38:30 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Darren Taft <daztop at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a Java 1.4 environment (WebLogic 8.1.4) that I cannot upgrade.  I've been having issues connecting to a specific server using JCIFS, so I've been trying different JCIFS versions.  See the following results:
>
> jcifs-1.2.25.jar - works for Domain-Based DFS, but doesn't work when connecting to the "fault" server.
> jcifs-krb5-1.3.1.jar - doesn't work for Domain-Based DFS, but does work when connecting to any server (including "fault" server).
> jcifs-1.3.3.jar - doesn't work in a Java 1.4 environment (requires some Java 1.5 classes)
>
> Based on the above results, I'm assuming that the "fault" server is either using NTLMv2 or Kerberos for authentication (for which jcifs-krb5-1.3.1.jar includes support for both) - would that be a valid assumption?  The other possibility is that there's a bug fix somewhere in the 1.3.1 code that just happens to be resolving the fault.
>
> So based on the above assumption, how can I get both domain-based DFS and this "fault" server working?  i.e. I need a JAR that includes the NTLMv2/Kerberos (I don't know how to tell which one it's using) and/or the possible fix, and the Domain-Based DFS.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

What's the "fault"?

NTLMv2 needs the RC4 cipher. That is only supported by Java 1.5 upate
7 or later or another version of Java with a different crypto package
like bounty castle.

If anyone knows of an LGPL or BSD licensed RC4.java out there please
let me know. Or if anyone likes a crypto challenge, RC4 isn't terribly
hard to implement:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC4

There are lots of implementations to look at. We just need one in Java
with the right lic.

Java Active Directory Integration