[jcifs] Domain based DFS support in Kerberos code, or NTLMv2 support in Java 1.4?

Darren Taft daztop at rocketmail.com
Wed Feb 25 16:19:09 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'm using a Java 1.4 environment (WebLogic 8.1.4) that I cannot upgrade.  I've been having issues connecting to a specific server using JCIFS, so I've been trying different JCIFS versions.  See the following results:

jcifs-1.2.25.jar - works for Domain-Based DFS, but doesn't work when connecting to the "fault" server.
jcifs-krb5-1.3.1.jar - doesn't work for Domain-Based DFS, but does work when connecting to any server (including "fault" server).
jcifs-1.3.3.jar - doesn't work in a Java 1.4 environment (requires some Java 1.5 classes)

Based on the above results, I'm assuming that the "fault" server is either using NTLMv2 or Kerberos for authentication (for which jcifs-krb5-1.3.1.jar includes support for both) - would that be a valid assumption?  The other possibility is that there's a bug fix somewhere in the 1.3.1 code that just happens to be resolving the fault.

So based on the above assumption, how can I get both domain-based DFS and this "fault" server working?  i.e. I need a JAR that includes the NTLMv2/Kerberos (I don't know how to tell which one it's using) and/or the possible fix, and the Domain-Based DFS.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

darren