[jcifs] JCIFS & JAAS

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 11:56:41 MST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Vidya Vadke
<vidya_vadke at persistent.co.in> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Can anyone let me know if JCIFS can be used along with JAAS?

Hi Vidya,

No. JCIFS is an implementation of CIFS. Although it implements NTLM as
necessary to authenticate with CIFS services, it is not something that
you could make a JAAS LoginModule with if that is what you mean.

> The scenario is I need to login to active directory using NTLM and then
> modify some information in the directory.

Actually this is something that the NTLM code in JCIFS could be used
for. You could create a SaslClient implementation around
jcifs.smb.NtlmContext.initSecContext() and registered it with the JCE
so that JNDI used it. But beware that that is an internal interface
that could change without notice and I'm not sure if you could
implement integrity or confidentiality with the raw JCIFS interface.

> So, I am planning to use JCIFS for authentication and JNDI for LDAP.
>
> So, I wanted to check whether this is a right combination.

JCIFS cannot authenticate clients. It can only initiate authentication
with servers as a client. So for JNDI you could use it but not for
authenticating clients if that is what you mean.

Good luck,

Java Active Directory Integration