[jcifs] Windows domain required for authentication?

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 14:31:36 GMT 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 3:34 AM, Hannes <info4h at tele2.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> within a prototyping project we have to evaluate authentication on a Windows
> domain from a Java application running on Linux. My question is:
>
> - do I really need a Windows domain controller installed or can I authentify
> against Samba on a Linux based host instead of a Windows Box?
>
> I would like to avoid bringing a Windows machine into my project. It would be
> great if we could simulate it with Samba!

It depends. Are you talking about a web application that uses the NTLM
HTTP Filter or something else that would call SmbSession.logon()
directly?

If you're using the Filter then see the "logonShare" example in the
NTLM HTTP Filter document.

If you're using SmbSession.logon() then you would just supply a "dc"
that constructed from a URL pointing to a share on a machine that is
an authority for the users you are authenticating.

PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO