[jcifs] NTLMv2 and jCIFS

Asaf Mesika asaf.mesika at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 09:08:19 GMT 2008

First, thanks a lot for the information. It helped me a great deal!

I've managed to advance my self a little further, so I'd like to summarize
my problematic situation.
Maybe someone will be able to clarify this.

There are three types of responses from a typical Windows workstation:
1. NTLMv1 token.
2. NTLMv2 token.
3. NTLMv1 token, encoded differently. This is called NTLM2 Session Security
(Session Response).

jCIFS handles NTLMv1 and NTLMv2 out of the box.

The problem starts with the NTLM Session Security. This can enabled in a
workstation, by altering the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0
    ntlmminclientsec

One you set the "NTLMv2 session security" flag on, in this registry key, you
get the following problems:

1. Internet Explorer refuses to respond to the type-2 message sent by jCIFS.

        The reason: the flag "Negotiate: NTLM2 Key" is not true, in the
type-2 message flags.

        The semi-working bypass: Always turn-on that flag in the type-2
message we're returning.
        This causes IE to respond with a type-3 message.

         Semi working, because:
         a) Workstations *without* "NTLMv2 session security" flag on (in the
registry) on, will fail authentication in the DC level (SMB Exception: Bad
User name of password).

                WHY?    Someone might have a clue?

          b) The value of "NTLMv2 session security" flag (in the registry)
is not passing, in any form, in the NTLMSSP negotiation (with jCIFS).
              An naive approach might think that the "Negotiate: NTLM2 Key"
in the type-1 message (Internet Explorer is passing) will be equal to the
"NTLMv2 session security" flag (in the registry) , but *it is not*.

          This brings me always to the conclusion, that only the following
will work:
            1. All organization workstations must have the same NTLM
security configuration.
            2. If the "NTLMv2 session security" flag is on, they *must* send
NTLMv2 token (i.e. lmCompatibilityLevel registry key must be set to 4 or 5),
and I must install a patched version of jCIFS, which turns the "Negotiate:
NTLM2 Key" in type-2 message.

Implementing NTLM2 Session Security
     I started thinking of implementing the missing piece in jCIFS, but I
wasn't sure what the DC was expecting in this case? an NTLMv1 token? If so,
how can I extract it? According to the algorithm, its only one way
encryption (Because they use DES with a key that I don't have - NTLM
password hash)

Thank you,

Asaf Mesika