[jcifs] jCIFS & Microsoft licenses

Roger Goldman roger_goldman2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 18:59:20 GMT 2008

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone on this list can answer a question to which I haven't been able to find any straightforward answers to.

The question relates to whether the terms of the Microsoft CIFS Protocol "ROYALTY-FREE CIFS TECHNICAL REFERENCE LICENSE AGREEMENT" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa302242.aspx) applies to jCIFS or not.

If if does, then I have a concern about the highlighted portion of the following clause in that agreement:
    "3.5  Use of Technical Reference.  Any Company Implementation shall implement the CIFS protocol in its entirety as specified in the Technical Reference"

jCIFS does not appear to fully implement any of the dialects specified in the Technical Reference (see list of dialects here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa302196.aspx).

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this, as I'm unsure as to whether jCIFS is compliant with the terms of the Microsoft license, or whether that license is even relevant to jCIFS.

Thanks in advance.

/rag