[jcifs] "The network name cannot be found" after 30 seconds

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 21:53:59 GMT 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Paul Clapham <pclapham at core-mark.com> wrote:

> I will try to make this not too long; I have a largish Windows network which
> also contains a few IBM iSeries machines. The Windows network has a DNS
> which provides access to everything in the world, and each of the iSeries
> has a DNS which provides access to the other iSeries by name. The iSeries
> boxes are configured so that the first DNS in its DNS list is itself and the
> second DNS is the network DNS.
>
> I have a Java program running on the iSeries which periodically receives
> requests to do various things. One of those things is to copy a file from
> the local machine to one of the other iSeries machines, and it uses jCIFS to
> do that. This works fine as long as the requests are less than 30 seconds
> apart. But as soon as a request is processed more than 30 seconds after the
> previous request, it gets an SmbException "The network name cannot be
> found". And this then happens for all subsequent requests until the program
> is restarted in a new JVM.

The "The network name cannot be found" error has nothing to do with
name service. It means that the server could not find the desired
*share* name. More specifically the SMB_COM_TREE_CONNECT_ANDX "tree"
name could not be found.

I would figure out what share it's having trouble with (increase the
log level if necessary) and go from there. Maybe you'll find that the
share name in the SMB URL is actually changing unexpectedly due to
some higher level code.

PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO