[jcifs] "The network name cannot be found" after 30 seconds

Paul Clapham pclapham at core-mark.com
Wed Aug 6 23:21:00 GMT 2008

Barking up the wrong tree, eh? Okay. My test program simply does "Copy file
to remote machine, sleep N seconds" in a loop. I've been running that at log
level 4. What I notice from the various logs is that when N=20, I get only
one SmbComTreeConnectAndX with path=\\DC010\JAVA and service=?????. But when
N=40, I first get an SmbComTreeConnectAndX with those values. Then just
before the second copy I get an SmbComLogoffAndX. That's followed by another
SmbComTreeConnectAndX with path=\\DC010\JAVA and service=A:. No other
differences between the two except for byteCount. So, it's the same path but
a different service when the file-copy fails.

(This process works just fine for writing to Windows machines in the
network, so it's possible there is something odd in the iSeries
implementation of SMB. Although it's been around for quite a few years.)