[jcifs] Exception when connecting to DFS share

Michael B Allen miallen at ioplex.com
Wed Sep 5 18:20:41 GMT 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 12:10:07 -0400
Michael B Allen <miallen at ioplex.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:30:46 -0500
> <Eric.Mitchell at wellsfargo.com> wrote:
>
> >  Hi Michael,
> > I should have provided more clarification... Yes I am attempting the
> > authentication against a domain based dfs root.
> > In my case the URL appears as //my.fully.qualifieddomain.corp/dfs_root
> >
> > I am testing between our current version of jcifs (1.2.13) and 1.2.17 with
> > the hopes of being able to allow our java apps (running on Linux)read/write
> > files within a dfs (on Windows 2003 Active Directory).
> >
> > The test is a shell script which simply returns a listing...
> >
> > Currently working in 1.2.13: "${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java" ListFiles
> > smb://servername/dfsshare
> > Results in listing all files.
> >
> > Testing in 1.2.17: "${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java" ListFiles
> > smb://some.example.name.corp/dfs_root (happens to be same name as dfsshare)
> > Results in the logon failure.
> >
> > Testing 1.2.17 for servername/share: "${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java" ListFiles
> > smb://servername/dfsshare
> > Also results in logon failure.
> >
> > Both the .13 and the .17 testing are using the same userID and encrypted
> > password called from the same jcifs.properties file.
>
> Ok, so it does have something to do with the new changes because
> smb://servername/dfsshare works with 1.2.13 and does not with 1.2.17. I'll
> see if I can replicate that issue here.

Eric,

I was not able to replicate this issue. Viewing DFS shares by
NetBIOS server name as well as by DNS name works as expected in the
somewhat limited DFS setup I have here. Perhaps 'servername' is not
resolving to the name you are expecting and your credentials are in
fact not sufficient for the server it is communicating with. Does
smb://some.example.name.corp/dfsshare/ work with .13?

Mike