[jcifs] JSAMBA

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Oct 9 15:12:31 GMT 2007

Eugenio GonçalvesPinto wrote:
> Chris and Mike, thanks for your quick feedback ;)
>
> Is it necessary to change the project name even if I donate my code to
> the Samba organisation?
>
> I just would like to share my efforts with the community, getting
> nothing in return.
>
> Is there a leader in the Samba organisation?

Eugenio,

There are leaders in the Samba Team, but the Team is really just a bunch of
coders--like you--scattered 'round the world.  Samba is written in C and
PIDL (a language created for/by the Samba Team).

If you wanted to donate the code to folks who would maintain it, then we
could put it on the jCIFS site.  As Mike said, jCIFS is a separate project.
 We collaborate with the Samba-folk (it's an open and friendly community)
but the projects really are separate.

jCIFS is where the Java coding gets done, and you said that you used jCIFS
code to build your server, so it would probably be best to build a new team
around your code in conjunction with what we already have for jCIFS.

Chris -)-----

--
"Implementing CIFS - the Common Internet FileSystem"    ISBN: 013047116X
Samba Team -- http://www.samba.org/    -)-----     Christopher R. Hertel
ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/    -)-----          crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/   -)-----             crh at ubiqx.org