[jcifs] JCIFS : Issues with Windows Vista and IE

NIKHIL MEHTA nikhil_c_mehta at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 04:51:27 GMT 2007

Hi All,

We are facing some issues with JCIFS Authentication. We are using the jcifs 1.2.15. We have a Web Application deployed on Windows 2003 Server. When we try to access this application from Windows XP, windows 2000 Server and Windows 2003 server (any browser), it runs properly and we are prompted for a JCIFS authentication. But when we try accessing the application from Windows Vista using IE, we are not able to access the application. It does not give any error in the logs. When we try using firefox on Vista, the application works. When we digged into it, it seemed to be an issue of NTLMv2. There was a setting in the Windows Vista Secuirty Policies namely "Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) clients needs “Require NTLMv2 session security”  and this needs to be unchecked. But doing this on all machines is not advisable. Kindly suggest if there is a way by which an NTLMv2 authentication can be done using JCIFS.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks and Regards,
Nikhil Mehta