[jcifs] jcifs.netbios.hostname not working since jcifs 1.2.15

Michael B Allen miallen at ioplex.com
Mon Nov 5 18:22:24 GMT 2007

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 12:12:41 +0100
Ronald Müller <ronald.mueller at infopark.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> with jcifs 1.2.15 (and later) the in
> http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html#adpolicy described
> workaround to set jcifs.netbios.hostname to a valid NetBIOS name and add
> that name to the AD security policy as a permitted client doesn't work
> any longer. The client can't be authenticated although this property is
> set correctly.
> With jcifs 1.2.14 this workaround works fine / as described and the user
> can be authenticated although he's only allowed to log on from permitted
> clients.
>
> Could this be a side effect of disabling port 139 with jcifs 1.2.15? How
> to authenticate users which are only allowed to log into the domain from
> their personal workstations with jcifs 1.2.15 (and later)?

Previously, if the jcifs.netbios.hostname value was set, the client would
use port 139 instead of 445. For reasons I do not recall, that behavior
was eliminated. The adpolicy thing only works if the client connects to
port 139. I don't recall if there's any property to force the client to
use port 139. You could hack the filter to use port 139 in the SMB URL.

PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO