[jcifs] NTLMHttpFilter fails from time to time

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Jan 30 22:09:41 GMT 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:37:54 -0500
"Rao, Sailesh" <Sailesh.Rao at 53.com> wrote:

> Our NTLM filter fails a few times every day with the a SocketException
> (Too Many Open Files). Usually the error goes away if the user closes
> their browser and launches a new IE window. Any clues as to what may be
> causing this? We recently upgraded to jcifs 1.2_12 from 1.2_7.
> The platform details are:
<snip>
> jcifs.util.transport.TransportException
> java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
> at java.net.Socket.createImpl(Socket.java(Compiled Code))
> at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java(Compiled Code))

At one time there was a bug that had to do with CLOSE_WAIT sockets. Maybe
there's something like that going on. JCIFS should multiplex all requests
to the domain controller which would mean there should be very few
connections to it (unless ssnLimit is set).

Try running netstat -tn and see if you have a lot of sockets open and
if so what they're open to and what their state is (e.g. ESTABLISHED
or CLOSE_WAIT?).

Something is chewing up so file descriptors you can't create new sockets.

Something like lsof might help diagnose too but I don't know if AIX
has that.

PHP Active Directory SSO