[jcifs] Active Directory Integrated DFS support?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Sep 19 21:36:41 GMT 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:12:37 +0100
<darren.taft at bt.com> wrote:

> After struggling for 2 days to find why my code hasn't been working,
> I've just found this comment in the archives
> (http://lists.samba.org/archive/jcifs/2004-August/003961.html):
>
> >> I've the same problem (with jCIFS 0.8.x, 0.9.5, 0.9.7) and I think
> jCIFS
> >> cannot access to DFS which is Active Directory integrated. If you
> specify
> >> the server in the DFS URL (e.g. smb://host.domain/dfsshare/) jCIFS
> can
> >> access to DFS on this server but if you specify only the
> domain/dfsroot
> >> (e.g. smb://dfsroot/dfsshare/) then jCIFS have to read the DFS
> definition
> >> from the Active Directory... (and not wins).
> >>
> >> Is it possible to add AD-integrated DFS support in jCIFS?
> >
> > Probably. But I have little knowledge necessary to even plan such a
> thing.
>

> This was in August 2004.  Can anyone tell me whether this has been
> sorted yet?  Or whether there are any plans to fix it?
>
> I'm showing all the same symptoms as the above comment (and thread).  So
> if it has been fixed/implemented, does anyone have any idea on why it
> could be failing for me now?  I'm not sure what else information I can
> provide at this point, so feel free to ask for anything relevant.

This is a long standing issue that is still largely a mystery as we (I)
have no knowledge of "AD-integrated DFS". If you have such knowledge
then by all means share.

Also, jCIFS does not get any information about DFS from WINS. JCIFS
currently just catches the STATUS_PATH_NOT_COVERED error returned by the
server, gets a DfsReferral, and retries the operation with the substitued
tree. But apparently there are instances where the server does not issue
the STATUS_PATH_NOT_COVERED error and XP client just know to access
alternative locations without referrals. How I have no clue and I asked
around about it without success.

PHP Active Directory SSO