[jcifs] Newbie: authentication problem on win xp home

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Oct 14 19:17:06 GMT 2006

There are numerous problems with this.

1) I'm not sure XP home will work as it's file sharing capabilities are
greatly simplified (e.g. force guest is on by default I think).

2) The domain should be the name of the machine. Is the name of your
machine really 'localhost'? That would be very strange since 'localhost'
is an alias commonly used by DNS resolver libraries.

3) Windows Laptops frequently disable loopback networking. If you are
trying to communicate with the local machine you may need to install a
special loopback adapter.

Mike

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:19:18 +0200
Massimo Ferrari <massimo.ferrari at rcfmedia.net> wrote:

> Hey all, a newbie question:
>
> UniAddress mydomaincontroller = UniAddress.getByName( "192.168.186.1" );
> NtlmPasswordAuthentication mycreds = new NtlmPasswordAuthentication(
> "localhost", "mapo", "" );
> try {
>    SmbSession.logon( mydomaincontroller, mycreds );
> } catch( SmbAuthException sae ) {
>    // AUTHENTICATION FAILURE
>    sae.printStackTrace();
> } catch( SmbException se ) {
>    // NETWORK PROBLEMS?
>    se.printStackTrace();
> }
>
> 192.168.186.1 is my laptop running windows xp home
> mapo is my user name (I removed the password)
> No way to get logged in, I always get a jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException:
> Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>
> What can be the problem? Don't blame me, I know it must be something
> stupid...
>
> Thank you in advance!

PHP Active Directory SSO