[jcifs] Newbie: authentication problem on win xp home

Massimo Ferrari massimo.ferrari at rcfmedia.net
Sat Oct 14 18:19:18 GMT 2006

Hey all, a newbie question:

UniAddress mydomaincontroller = UniAddress.getByName( "192.168.186.1" );
NtlmPasswordAuthentication mycreds = new NtlmPasswordAuthentication(
"localhost", "mapo", "" );
try {
   SmbSession.logon( mydomaincontroller, mycreds );
} catch( SmbAuthException sae ) {
   // AUTHENTICATION FAILURE
   sae.printStackTrace();
} catch( SmbException se ) {
   // NETWORK PROBLEMS?
   se.printStackTrace();
}

192.168.186.1 is my laptop running windows xp home
mapo is my user name (I removed the password)
No way to get logged in, I always get a jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException:
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

What can be the problem? Don't blame me, I know it must be something
stupid...

Thank you in advance!