[jcifs] Speed please..

Paddy Cerri robogiant at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 17:50:11 GMT 2006

Dudes - thanks for the interesting replies. :-)

So it's something to do with these :-

'It's the internet crossed with the smb protocol that produces this slow
transfer..' - hope not..
or
'Windows is bollox, and we can't make it any faster because of them' -
probable
or
'Try wacking up the buffer sizes and see...' - think I tried it all

Can I client-side-internally/server-side increase something  - since I have
played with most of the SmbConstants ?

What buffers Chuck ? Do you mean the send and recieve buffers ? I think
65536 is the max on the server end, in smb.cnf, and the default in
SmbConstants for the client is allready 60416 ?

I have looked at the SMBTransport line 325 peekKey() function for ages to
see if there is any difference in the packets being recieved and there
doesn't seem to be.

I imagine the latency of the message going from the client to the server and
back, as you predict Chris,is the reason for the low transfer speeds. Makes
sense anyway. As no real delay exists on a LAN and as far as the code is
concerned, they are the same address.. That's the only bit that has changed.

Has anyone tried to download the file I put up ?

What download speed did you get on your bandwith ?

paddy