[jcifs] Speed please..

Caldarale, Charles R Chuck.Caldarale at unisys.com
Tue Oct 3 17:08:40 GMT 2006

> From: jcifs at lists.samba.org On Behalf Of Christopher R. Hertel
> Subject: Re: [jcifs] Speed please..
>
> The one that is probably impacting you is that CIFS is basically
> a request/response protocol.  The client sends a request, and the
> server processes the request and sends a response.  Because of this
> highly serial behavior, CIFS is very sensitive to network latency
> and jitter.

I believe this is what the READ/WRITE_RAW and READ/WRITE_MPX commands
were intended to address.  However, at least some of the MS
implementations of the raw functions are unusable, since they do not
disable request concurrency in a reliable fashion.  To make it worse, MS
decided to support the MPX versions only on connectionless transports,
which makes no sense to me.  For the moment, we mitigate the long
latency problem by using really big buffers in our native client and
server.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.