[jcifs] jcifs encoding issue with NtlmHttpFilter and IE 6.0

David Sprowls ctasprowls at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 29 17:50:06 GMT 2006

I just upgraded from jcifs 1.2.7 to 1.2.8.  Everything works fine if I
use a mozilla based browser; however, if I use Internet Explorer, I get
an unsupported encoding exception.

java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: Cp850
sun.io.Converters.getConverterClass(Unknown Source)
sun.io.Converters.newConverter(Unknown Source)
sun.io.ByteToCharConverter.getConverter(Unknown Source)
java.lang.StringCoding.decode(Unknown Source)
java.lang.String.<init>(Unknown Source)
java.lang.String.<init>(Unknown Source)
jcifs.ntlmssp.Type1Message.parse(Type1Message.java:236)
jcifs.ntlmssp.Type1Message.<init>(Type1Message.java:86)
jcifs.http.NtlmSsp.authenticate(NtlmSsp.java:88)
jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.negotiate(NtlmHttpFilter.java:160)
jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.doFilter(NtlmHttpFilter.java:114)

I see that the default encoding was changed from file.encoding to
"Cp850" in NtlmMessage.java.

If I set jcifs.encoding to cp1252, then the problem is resolved.

I am running NtlmHttpFilter in Tomcat 5.5 on windows 2000 sp3 with JRE
1.5.0_06

Why must I suddenly set the encoding, and why is it only a problem for
IE?

David

--
  David Sprowls