[jcifs] authentication

Torsten Curdt tcurdt at vafer.org
Tue Jul 11 12:06:36 GMT 2006

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the ntlm authentication.

When I have the ip address of a machine - do I really need to provide
the domain? AFAIU jcifs requires the domain always to be set but it
was brought to my attention that using smbfs/cifsfs you can get away
with just the username/password. Same goes for the smbclient. Do they
all read the domain from the smb.conf? Or where can I find further
information on this?

So basically I am wondering whether I could use jcifs with just
username and password to connect to a machine.

cheers
--
Torsten