[jcifs] Re: Propagation of windows credentials from Java client through to web service

Oliver Schoett os at sdm.de
Wed Jan 25 08:18:29 GMT 2006

mileyd wrote:
> I did see that document Chuck, but the way I interpreted that was that it
> related to browser clients only. I am wanting to know how to do it from a
> standard java client application. In .NET you can get the DefaultCredentials
> which hooks into the local windows credentials cache. I need to do something
> similar from Java and then use them in the NTLM handshake.

This works automatically in Sun JRE 1.4.2_02 and higher on Windows
(haven't tested it in Java 5): When you make an HTTP request to a Web
server that requires Windows authentication, an authentication attempt
is made automatically and transparently with the user's Windows
credentials (see Java Bug 4857110). We use this feature in a Java
client, connecting to an application server that has the jCIFS
NtlmHttpFilter installed.

Regards,

Oliver Schoett