[jcifs] ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY resulting into HTTP 500

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Jan 10 18:41:34 GMT 2006

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:25:55 +0100
"Radovan Skolnik" <radovan_skolnik at tempest.sk> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We are using JCIFS 1.1.11 to autenthicate web users accessing Apache
> Tomcat/4.1.30 on HP-UX platform. The domain consists of few Windows 2003
> domain controllers running backward compatibility mode (so Windows 2003
> style is not enabled) without any WINS server (there won't be any in the
> future). Quite often the PDC returns message 8 - ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY
> resulting into HTTP 500. Refresh of the page usually helps the situation.

That error is coming from the server.

> Another workaround is to reconfigure the filter to go to another PDC. Has
> anyone encountered this? Any suggestions? Is there (could there be) some
> load-balancing mechanism to query more than one PDC in case one fails? Is
> there any part of the code in 1.2.x versions that could help this? If needed

I would definitely try to upgrade to the latest. It's more stable than
1.2. I know it's a pain to QA but it does provide more robust handling
for the filter. Look at the release notes for specific changes. Some
are detailed quite a bit.

I can't guarantee it will fix your problem though. The client interrogates
the DC with a tree connect to IPC$ when it first connects but if the
NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY error occurs after that you will still get an error. It
should close the connection though causing a new one to be established
which appears to be working in your case.

I think you should try the latest with the default config.