Fwd: [jcifs] Re: NTLM http client uses Sun NTLM coming with JVM 1.4.2_10 instead of jcifs

Richard Caper rcaper at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 10:58:40 GMT 2006

Forgot to copy list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Caper <rcaper at gmail.com>
Date: Feb 7, 2006 5:58 AM
Subject: Re: [jcifs] Re: NTLM http client uses Sun NTLM coming with
JVM 1.4.2_10 instead of jcifs
To: Oliver Schoett <os at sdm.de>

He is talking about the JCIFS client piece.  The specific use case
would be you want to provide specific credentials and connect to an
NTLM site (could be JCIFS, could be IIS).  The JCIFS HttpURLConnection
wrapper allows you to do this on non-Windows clients.  On Windows the
built-in JVM handler automatically uses the logged in user credentials
and bypasses the JCIFS handler.

As noted this is probably a pretty rare scenario (i.e. you would
usually want the out-of-box JVM behavior, and would only need JCIFS on
non-Windows clients to approximate the Windows behavior).  If you do
need to use it on a Windows client there is a hacky way to disable the
JVM handler from automatically authenticating:

System.setProperty("os.name", "something else");

i.e. the Sun handler tests if the local OS is Windows when determining
whether NTLM is supported (since it uses native calls).