[jcifs] NTLMv2 and jCIFS

Eric Glass eric.glass at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 18:22:30 GMT 2006

There are some specific scenarios where LMv2 will not work properly;
from what I remember:

1) signing will not work if authentication is done with a given
account to a host in a different domain (i.e. user is "DOMAINA\user"
and computer is in DOMAINB).

2) There are issues if you are authenticating against a server that is
configured with the "nolmhash" registry key (it apparently will not
pass the LM response through properly, even though the LM hash is
technically not used in the LMv2 response).

3) There can be issues related to the
NtlmMinClientSec/NtlmMinServerSec registry settings (not necessarily
limited to LMv2).

I had done some related work that I keep meaning to backport in to
jCIFS; as Vista apparently uses NTLMv2/LMv2 by default this may become
a more common issue anyway.  In the meantime, if the server/DC
requires LMCompatibility >= 3 and jCIFS isn't working you might need
to give the specific error messages etc. to diagnose.

Eric