[jcifs] jcifs and win2003?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Apr 4 20:37:51 GMT 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:38:09 +1200
Roger Parkinson <roger at senanque.co.nz> wrote:

> We are getting the following error
> Server redirected too many  times (20)
> when we try and connect with a web service client running on a win2003 server.

Where exactly are you getting this error? In the web browser. From the
java app using the jcifs http wrapper for NTLM nego?

> The web service is running in IIS and is a .NET thing we have little control over. The client is our java code which works fine when the client is running on winXP. It uses jcifs to handle authentication to the .NET web service. As far as I can tell the correct credentials are being supplied.

Note that the HTTP client builtin to the Windows JRE can do "integrated
windows authentication" totally bypassing JCIFS.

> When we type the web service address in a browser it does deliver, but it pops up a challenge message beforehand. It does not do this on WinXP. Our network guy tells me that this is a known win2003 difference (ie he has seen it before).

Mmm, I'm confused now. I thought you were using the HTTP client wrapper
from JCIFS. Guess not. Oh well :-/