[jcifs] WebSphere on Linux NTLM using jcifs failed

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Oct 19 18:03:31 GMT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:00:28 -0700
"Oleg Volkov" <voleg at icqmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I faced a strange problem while running WebSphere AS on Linux (x86).
> The application utilizes NTLM authentication for auto-login and uses
> jcifs-0.8.2.
>
> The application runs fine on AIX and Windows platform, but failed on
> Linux.
> More of that, it works on the Linux WAS when using an HTTP server (and
> websphere plugin)
> on AIX/Windows. This points to wrong behavior of IBM HTTP server and
> WebSphere plugin
> on Linux platform during NTLM handshake.
>
> Both 1.3.28 and 2.0.24 with corresponding updated plugins was tested
> without succsess.
>
> Any ideas ?

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a problem with Websphere on Linux. The
NTLMSSP exchange is pretty strange so unless the web server is considerate
of it it's very possible for things to get messed up. I would create a
bug report with at the WebSpere side.

Just for kicks you could try dopping in the latest jcifs
jar. We have tweeked how the http connection is handled over time
(e.g. setContentLength(0) after setting status just changed in the
last release).