[jcifs] Access denied when listing shares on a server with Guest account disabled

Matt Todd m.todd at vqual.com
Tue May 31 07:38:43 GMT 2005

The following code will work if the guest account is enabled on the
host, however if the guest account is not enabled, an exception is
thrown with the message 'access denied'. Why does listing shares not
work as a non-guest user?

NtlmPasswordAuthentication authentication = new
NtlmPasswordAuthentication(null,"Administrator","adminpassword");
SmbFile smbFile = new SmbFile("smb://" + <hostname> + "/",
authentication);
String[] shares = smbFile.list();