[jcifs] HELP: Question about accessing Named Pipes

Amlan Chatterjee amlanc at gmail.com
Tue May 17 00:10:11 GMT 2005

On 5/16/05, Michael B Allen <mba2000 at ioplex.com> wrote:

> Please send all messages to the jCIFS mailing list (provided they don't
> have questionable attachments).
>
> Amlan Chatterjee said:
> >> smb://WORKGROUP\\;user:pass@mypc/IPC$/PIPE/fooit
> >>
> >> Well this is definately going to give you an error because the '\\' in
> >> there is invalid. See the Overview page of the API documentation for
> >> proper SMB URL usage.
> >

> > Take a look at your example properties file torture.prp or torture2.prp
> > torture.src.url = smb://dom\;miallen:pass@server/pub/
> >
> > This wont compile since \; is an illegal escape chartacter. Thats why
> > I made that '\\;'.
>
> That's a properties file escape character to suppress the interpretation
> of the ';'. You will also see this in shell scripts.
>
> > Anyway, I tried the same URL without setting the domain or
> > username+password
> > (i.e. putting them in a properties file and loading them using
> > Config.load()). Doesnt
> > make any difference whatsoever in the exception and output.
> >
> > I tried with each of the following urls
> > smb://user:pass@mypc/IPC$/PIPE/foo
> > smb://user:pass@mypc/IPC$/foo
> > smb://mypc/IPC$/PIPE/foo
> > smb://mypc/IPC$/foo
>
> I think you want:
>
> smb://domain;user:pass@server/IPC$/PIPE/foo

Doesnt work.

>> Any ideas about what am I missing ?
> >>
> >> Reading the documentation?
> >

> > Actually I did read the documentation.
> > Its insufficient and at places possibly erroneous.
>
> Funny. You're the first person to complain about this.

May be you should post a sign "comments not welcome" on the website ?

> b) Some parts of the doc. are possibly incorrect. For ex. the page states,
> > "if
> > the property "jcifs.properties" defines the location of a
> > java.util.Properties file, all properties will be loaded from it." Thats
> > not
> > the case at all. Defining this as a System Property has no effect. I had
> > load them manually using Config.load()
>
> What the heck are you doing? I've never heard anyone having a problem with
> this.

It was a problem with IntelliJ. I was in the middle of writing an email to
let you know
this is indeed not a problem your code, but with the IDE. Anyway, I *did*
mention the
word *possibly*, which should mean something.

> Thanks. FYI, I tried the CallNamedPipe and WaitNamedPipe examples. Neither
> > of them seems to work.
>
> Yes, again I think there is a bug. I'll look at it (eventually).
>
> >> PS: Note the Jarapac examples *do* work. I guess I broke regular pipes
> >> making the DCE pipes work.
> >>

> > Mike, this is not Jarapac. I can connect to a remote DCE Pipe using
> > Jarapac
> > just fine. Have no problem there. Here however, I am using JCIFS. All I
> am
> > trying to do is to access a named pipe on a remote linux box, exposed
> > using
> > Samba IPC and ofcourse from from Java using the JCIFS SmbNamedPipe API.
> >
> > IMHO, what will really help is a complete example of creating, exposing
> > and
> > accessing a named pipe for Win32 as well as Unix. That way there is less
> > chance of confusion and error.
>
> Amlan, I think you're frustrated and as a result you're exacerbating the
> problem a little with dumb mistakes. That doesn't help. And I do not
> always feel like I have the constitution to go back and fourth with you.

Wow! What a response to a suggestion of improvement in documentation! That
certainly explains the coding and documentation standard of your projects.

A long time ago, one of my Ph.D guides told me that a person who knows the
answer to a question always gives it, while the ones with absolutely no clue
usually exihibit attitude, use foul languages, call you names and throw
tantrums.Today I realize how right he was.

For the record, I am not writing to this list to get a psych analysis of
whether I am frustrated or depressed, or to be unqualifiedly called what
dumb mistakes I am making, but to get an idea if someone else has seen
similar problems and its possible resolutions. I believe thats the usage of
a mailing list.

It was a mistake that I didnt reply to the whole list, since I mistakenly
hit reply instead of reply all.

Amlan Chatterjee
Santa Clara, CA 95050
USA