[jcifs] Re: FW: Connecting to DFS Roots

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Mar 31 00:05:45 GMT 2005

Daniel Palmer said:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I tried sending this to the list but it's apparently over the lists
> message size limit :)  Thought I'd send it to you directly and wait for
> the message sent to the list to be authorized.

That's ok. Generally you don't want to send packet captures to the list
anyway.

1) Explorer somehow has advance knowledge that \\trinity.local\TCS is a
DFS point and does a referreal right from the start. If jCIFS tries to
tree-connect to this share it just get's BAD_NETWORK_NAME.
2) \\shadrach\TCS-DFS-Root is reported to be a DFS point as well but if
JCIFS tries to get a referral you get the NO_SUCH_DEVICE (0xC000000E)
error.
3) Explorer seems to just use \\shadrach\TCS-DFS-Root using paths
\\trinity.local\TCS. If jCIFS tries to list \\shadrach\TCS-DFS-Root it get
PATH_NOT_COVERED.

There is obvoiusly a lot going on here I just don't understand. There's
some kind of nesting going on.

The only thing jCIFS supports doing is if it queries a path and get's
PATH_NOT_COVERED it will connect to IPC$, get a referral, and try again
with the new target. That's clearly not sufficient in your environment.

> I've attached the ethereal captures from this test session - and then
> emulated it using windows explorer.  (Connecting to \\trinity.local\TCS
> \\shadrach.trinity.local\TCS and \\shadrach.trinity.local\TCS-DFS-Root -
> all of which behaved normally in Explorer).  Apologies for the other
> junk in the capture - it's a live network and I didn't have the same
> issues on my test lan with smbclient - so I think jCIFS will prob work
> normally with it too.. :-S

So smbclient works? Can you get a capture of that? If the hosts in your
test environment are different please also get a capture of jcifs trying
the same exact thing as smbclient.

The first think I need to know is how the client discovers that the
addressed resource is a DFS point that requires a referral. Then I need to
figure out when the client should *not* ask for a referral even though the
tree is reported to be in DFS (e.g. \\shadrach\TCS-DFS-Root).

Perplexed,