[jcifs] Re: HTTP Authentication failing

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Jun 7 15:50:40 GMT 2005

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:37:20 +0000 (UTC)
Scrumpy Jak <paul.pree at bmssolutions.com> wrote:

> I set (within the http filter section of web.xml) the following:
>
> >   <filter>
> >     <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
> >     <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
> >     <init-param>
> >         <param-name>jcifs.http.domainController</param-name>
> >         <param-value>192.168.20.101</param-value>
> >     </init-param>
> >     <init-param>
> >         <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
> >         <param-value>mydomain</param-value>
> >     </init-param>
> >     <init-param>
> >         <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.username</param-name>
> >         <param-value>validusername</param-value>
> >     </init-param>
> >     <init-param>
> >         <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.password</param-name>
> >         <param-value>validpassword</param-value>
> >     </init-param>
> >   </filter>

Looks good. You can also set jcifs.util.loglevel = 2 maybe.

> >   <filter-mapping>
> >     <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
> >     <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
> >   </filter-mapping>
>
> The browser then comes back with
> jcifs.smb.SmbException: Failed to negotiate
> jcifs.smb.SmbException: Timeout trying to open socket
> java.net.ConnectException: Connection Refused: connect
>    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
>
> Note: This fails for all users (Not just the first)

You need to figure out where you first encounter an error. You have
mentioned several symptoms but good scientific method would suggest
isolating the first occurance of a problem (maybe it's not even an
error). Other subsequent errors could just be an artifact of previous
conditions.

> I agree that there is something screwy with our environment - We just can't
> pinpoint it! As you can also guess, my knowledge in this area is limited!

You need a network engineer. It could be that port 139 is being
blocked. Are you in an XP/200x only environment?